Saturday, October 01, 2005

Hence the Name

So, I'm guessing that you're curious about the title of my blog site. One might think that the statement would qualify as an oxy-moron. That there is no intelligent life in Arkansas. Well, I beg to differ. The fact that the first season of "Simple Life" was filmed in Altus, Arkansas, where the producers at FOX portrayed Arkansans as barefoot, cousin' kissers whose idea of fun was hanging out at Wal-Mart didn't help put an end to this false belief. I meet people all the time who say: "Arkansas, now where is that exactly?" I'm no Magellan, but I do know the location of the states in my own country! Please, have a little respect. The name was also spurred on by a t-shirt that a friend gave me. It depicts an outline of the state of Arkansas and reads: "Arkansas: Literacy Ain't Everything!" Yeah, I wear it proudly. Does that make me a hypocrite? Not at all. I can laugh at the stereotype as well.
The truth is that my mother is an English teacher in Arkansas. You might say...What a lost cause...but my mother is a very intelligent lady for whom I have the utmost love and respect. In fact, I have so much respect for her that I've always been very conscious of my grammar because I wanted to represent her well. (Please e-mail me with any grammatical mistakes in this blog.)
Seriously, it's an incredible state. It's beautiful, full of nature, home of North America's oldest and most famous diamond mine in Murfreesboro, where the largest diamond found was 40.24 carats. Arkansas is America's largest rice producer and the home of Sam Walton who founded Wal-Mart. John Grisham (author) is a native as well as Mark Martin (Nascar driver.) It's the home of country music legends: Johnny Cash, Glen Campbell, & Conway Twitty as well as Lou Brock (pro baseball player) just mention a few. I've traveled to just about every North American state, seven other countries on three continents, and some of the most friendly, genuine people are right there in Arkansas.
I'm just a lone voice advocating the end to this false idea, but I ask that next time you encounter this stereotype to stop and think about the possibility of...the Sophisticated Arkansan. I'll be see'n ya.

6 comments:

Cherish said...

Looks like you get a lot of Spam comments, Happy belated birtday by the way, or is it today, I don't remember seeing a date on the web page. So, sounds like you've really got yourself together, I wish I knew what the Lord had in store for me. I'd like to hear more about your ministry. Check out my blog if you have time, you will see that the Lord hath chastened me sorely! I think all you have to do is click on my name. I will never think of Arkansas the same again :)

Cassie said...

Arkansas ( or Arkansauce, as the Chinese pronounce it) has bright clear skies, green grass and ahhh... the quiet:)

H.T. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
H.T. said...

Oops! I was just saying I know all about the "grammar conscious" (Eng. teacher Mom). Make your Mom proud!

H.T. said...

life- "grammar conscious" life
I debated about fixing this, but uncorrected mistakes like this can haunt kids like us.

Lesley said...

I have heard you will be leaving us at Crossroads soon. Just wanted to tell you that I have enjoyed your presence on the praise team. You have an amazing voice, and I love to hear you singing God praise.

You will be missed!