Sunday, July 02, 2006

Freedom


As Americans, we've heard it said many times that "Freedom isn't free." I was reminded of that phrase during my recent trip to Florida as I shared a flight with a soldier headed back to Iraq. As we were boarding the flight, his wife and two young girls were saying what might be a last good-bye. My heart sank as the cries of his youngest daughter reminded me of the sacrifices made so that we could live in freedom. I have come to a greater appreciation of this nation after visiting several other countries and seeing the oppression endured by some. Thanks to our troops (past & present) that pay a great price to ensure our freedom.

There was another price that had to be paid for a different kind of freedom. Likewise, this freedom is not truly appreciated unless one comes to the understanding of our condition as humans. In short form, the fall of man left us all captive & in need of a reconciliation with our Creator. Only the sacrifice made by Christ on the cross gives us the opportunity for true freedom. "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord, Jesus Christ! In His great mercy, He has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead...(I Peter 1:3)

No comments: