Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Nearsighted


I'm nearsighted. I can read a monogrammed safety pin, but I can't see a thing far away. My prescription is -2.50 in both eyes (for those of you that understand the numbers.) I've been wearing contacts ever since I was 16, and I remember the day that I picked up my glasses & realized what I'd been missing. Everything was so defined...not blurry. I could see far away. Colors were distinct. It was amazing! Now, it is so noticeable that every morning, one of the first things I do is reach for my glasses. I don't have to remind myself that I'm optically challenged. It's almost like a disease that I'll live with forever...or until I can afford Lasik surgery.
Nearsightedness can be a disease for us as Christ followers as well...when we become so focused on the near things of this world and lose sight of the eternal. I believe that one of the enemy's greatest methods of distraction comes in this form...unnecessary stress, material possessions, etc. Unlike my physical challenge, I often have to remind myself when I'm being spiritually nearsighted. I Peter tells us to "live as strangers in this world." My translation...keep in mind that this is a temporary residence. I don't think that there is a Lasik procedure to correct this. I reckon that I'll have to keep reminding myself.

1 comment:

Harrison said...

Good reminder buddy...

and my mom got Lasik, she said it's the best thing that she ever did. hopefully not before getting married and having kids, though...