Thursday, August 31, 2006

"Who do you say that I am?"


While on a recent trip to New York, I acquired a poor copy of the movie "Talladega Nights." As a loyal NASCAR fan, I've already seen the movie, but a disturbing thought came to my mind as I watched the prayer scene again. If you didn't see the movie, Ricky Bobby is leading his family in a prayer before their meal, and he begins with: "Dear Baby Jesus..." After several references to the infant Jesus, a dialog begins among the characters as to how they picture Jesus. Walker, Ricky's son, states that he thinks of Jesus as a ninja fighting off evil samurai. Cal, Ricky's teammate and best friend, pictures Jesus singing lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd accompanied by an angel band.
Now, I know that Hollywood tends to exaggerate for comedic effect, but this isn't too far from some of the skewed views of Jesus. The One we, as Christ followers, refer to as Creator, Savior, Sustainer... The One in whom "we live and move and have our being" as Paul quotes a poet when addressing the Aeropagus in Acts 17:28.
In Matthew 16:15, Jesus asks Peter this question: "Who do you say that I am?" This question wasn't just posed to Peter that day; the question is for us all, and I beg to say that this is the most important answer we'll give in our lifetime. Who do you say that He is?

No comments: