Thursday, April 24, 2008

A Prodding Thought From Louie

Another guy that has had a major influence on me is Louie Giglio. Since I began listening and reading his work around ten years ago, Louie has always had a challenging word from the Lord that seems to hit me square in the chest. This week, worshiptogether.com posted an interview with Louie. They asked about the path that led him to where he is today, but towards the end, he made a statement that I've been thinking on the past few days. As a person that has had a part in some of the great songs that have steered us towards God over the last few years, Louie promotes that we "turn down the music, and see if the worship is still there." We can be all about turning the music up and having a "rockin" time of song worship, but does worship sometimes get lost in the music? I admit that I love the instruments, the dynamics, and the creativity, but I have to be careful that I don't let that get in the way of the main reason I'm there...and that's to give honor to my Heavenly Father and Savior, Jesus Christ. You see, music has an enormous affect on one's emotions. Just watch a musical or pay attention to the songs in your favorite movie. Music causes us to feel, so we must be careful that music isn't playing on our emotions in the church. We must also ask if the same level of worship is going on in the lifestyle of the worshipper outside the church walls.
Many of us enjoy worshipping in song with the amps cranked and the bass pumping, but what would happen if we scratched music this week and read some passages that praised God, or had some folks share what the Lord is doing or teaching them, or what about some congregational prayer and reflective time? Would the worship still be there?

No comments: