Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Love of Money...

I'm financially ignorant, so I wouldn't know the severity of the situation that has risen in the past few days were it not for Fox News and my friend, a stockbroker. I do tend to splurge in the area of guns and guitars, but I consider myself pretty low maintenance in the sense that I don't require much. For example, I think I could eat turkey sandwiches for three meals a day. I've purposely kept money from becoming a concern in part because I've witnessed third world conditions, and I'm grateful for every little thing I have. Anyhow, because of my financial ignorance, I don't have much to say concerning the financial crisis, but I did look up a few verses. Much has been said in the scriptures concerning money, but here are a few:

He who loves money will not be satisfied with money, nor he who loves wealth with his income; this also is vanity.
Ecclesiastes 5:10

"No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.
Matthew 6:24

Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have...
Hebrews 13:5

But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils.
1 Timothy 6:9-10

Often, this verse in Timothy is misquoted. I've heard many say that "money is the root of evil." ...not necessarily true. There is a responsibility to be a good steward with that which one has been blessed, but there is nothing wrong with enjoying what one has come by honestly. Paul was clear to say that the "love" or desire for money at all costs is the problem. We continue to see this play out in our society, and over the last few days, we've seen the truth of this verse in full bloom.

No comments: