Thursday, October 09, 2008

Hypermiling

There has been some relief at the pump here lately, but there is more we can do. The definition, according to hypermiling.com, is a "method of increasing your car's gas mileage by making skillful changes in the way you drive." I was first introduced to this practice by a news special on CNN. You can check out some of the methods, but CNN seemed to make fun of some of the extreme techniques such as: not using the brakes, coasting while killing the engine, and drafting behind large vehicles. Being the NASCAR fan that I am, I'm all about the drafting and even incorporating a little "bump drafting." (I recommend using this "advanced technique" only with people you know.)
I did experiment with some of the basic techniques, and, while I'm not an overly aggressive driver, my benefit was hardly noticed, if at all.

2 comments:

H.T. said...

Hypermilling(extreme)looks like a good way to earn a higher insurance premium not to lower my gas cost!

Lesley said...

Interesting, but I don't see hypermiling sweeping the nation.

I am a Nascar fan as well. Who's your fav? Tony Stewart around this house.