Thursday, January 01, 2009

Lost in Translation


I was recently thinking about a trip to Peru a few years back. We took about 20 high school students to a village in the Andes mountains to help build a ministry center. After three days of some very intense labor, we had to travel to another part of the country, but we were leaving them the hand tools and supplies that we had brought. I gathered up all the work gloves to give to the group of workers that we had been working alongside. Although I've been to several Latin countries, my spanish is still quite lacking. I wanted to tell the job foreman that the gloves and tools were for him and his workers to keep, but I couldn't think of the word for "workers," so I decided to use the word for "brothers" instead. I noticed that he looked puzzled after our conversation but grateful nevertheless. As I was leaving, I realized that I had actually used the word for "sisters" instead. The visual of this guy returning home to his sisters with all these tools and gloves is forever etched in my mind.

2 comments:

Harrison said...

that's awesome man!

blondie said...

We've gone to Brazil on a mission trip for about 10 days. It's amazing and I can't wait to go back again one day. We're working on our Spanish, too, although that was Portuguese. Hope to take EG with us on a trip soon. I think it would be life changing for her, as it was for us. They are so grateful for any little thing you do. We went to make a difference in their lives, but they wound up changing ours forever.